Thursday, February 14, 2008

10 Big Points

If you watch American Gladiators you know that the contenders never just get 10 points, it's always "10 BIG Points." So in honor of the finale Sunday night I thought I would do a top 10 list of sorts.



10) STL Boat Show. Jojo and I attended the the St. Louis Boat Show last weekend at the Edward Jones Dome. It was my first time ever going to one of these and it was pretty fun. It was really cool to see and sit in some of the boats. We sat in a Mastercraft X-80 which retails for roughly $120,000 and it was awesome. Other boats that I would love to own are the Mastercraft X Star, Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV, and the Sea-Doo Wake Edition PWC. Truthfully I would be happy with almost any boat but I can dream right?


9) Winter is no fun. In fact I hate it. As I was sitting in complete gridlock in Earth City on Monday night trying to get home I was questioning why I ever decided to come home from Dubai, no winter storms there. I think we need to move to Arizona.


8) Shakespeare's Pizza in New Town!! This is pretty cool. The Domain Street Wine Bar (which has an obnoxious giant neon sign) and Marsala's Market are both now importing Shakespeare's from Columbia. It's the half-baked pizzas, which aren't quite as good as the real thing but still very good. I have yet to enjoy the pizza in my freezer because when I last preheated the oven I started a fire in it due to previous pizza debris.


7) Easter Candy is here!! Easily the best holiday candy out there, Cadbury Eggs alone catapult it above all other holiday candy.


6) Men's Health Power Training is a book I picked up after Christmas and I started following it's program shortly after. I really like the workouts it recommends and I'm already starting to see the results. However, I haven't been doing alot of lower body lifting the last couple of years (especially when I was running alot) and now I'm developing the muscles in my legs to the point that it is beginning to affect the way my pants are fitting. Which is kinda weird.


5) New Jack Johnson Cd, Sleep Through the Static. I've only listened to it a little bit but I think it is impossible for Jack to put out bad music.
4) Team1380 is local sports radio that I have on pretty much every morning in the truck. If you're in St. Louis check it out. Really funny stuff and they occasionally even talk about sports.


3) Transgression is a really cool wakeboarding dvd I got at the boat show. The music is really good and the riding is awesome. The best part is Randall Harris's section. He actually has a really interesting story and he's on the team now which is cool but his riding is jawdropping. Watching it really makes me want to ride.



2) American Gladiators finale this Sunday night! A 2 hour "event"!! Should be pretty cool but I don't think that Evan or Monica can be beaten. They're simply too good at the Eliminator. Their competition will need a huge lead going into the Eliminator and that's probably not gonna happen.

1) Dunkin Donuts returns to STL!!!!!! This is the best news I've gotten in a while and it can't happen soon enough.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work wheels. Checked in on the bloggy blog today and it was nice to see whats got you gripped these days. My quick hit list of currents:

10.) Audio: Drive by Truckers- Brighter than Creation's Dark
9.) Audio: Frederico Aubele- Panamericana
2.) Audio: Radiohead- In Rainbows
4.) Text: Ed Burns Presents: The Dock Walloper
7.) Text: John Perkins -Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
6.) Text: William Kennedy- Ironweed
5.) Food: Pre made waffles
4.) Food: China Fun- Happy Belly
8.) Video: Beowulf IMAX 3D
1.) Video: Everest- Narrated by Liam Neeson

Anonymous said...

My list would only be the big 7.

1. I have to say, I too am excited about Dunkin Donuts returning to STL. Mainly because I can now order a small, medium, or large coffee (I like that commercial they have).

2. Boat shows are fun, yet depressing because i am poor.

3. Although I haven't watched too much American Gladiators, I still watch the repeats on ESPN Classic. And it was so much better back then. Less pagentry and dialogue. I don't plan on watching the season finale or knightrider.

4. I am intrigued by the show, "My dad could beat up your dad" or whaetever it is called. The question I have is, could I borrow a friends child and be its "dad" for TV show purposes? These are things I need to know. It reminds me of Double Dare which I kinda liked.

5. I agree with you that Jack Johnson puts out excellent music. However I have trouble listening to him. He only has two songs, happy songs or sad songs. I really don't know what he is saying, but they sound happy, or sad.

6. I like winter. It is a wonderful time when you get to bundle up and sleep in the coolness. It is a very enjoyable time. I believe that you would enjoy it more if you were to go snowboarding with me in colorado. You need to look into it.

7. Lastly I would like to send a big giant thank you to a certain Guamese pilot who comments on this blog. You may have saved me from having to run a marathon with my father in order to have bonding. Your suggestion of running with the bulls is pure genius. I award you full points. I am much more interested in doing that than running with people in and incredibly cold or incredibly hot city. So sign me up and I will see you in Pamplona!

Anonymous said...

1)I too, enjoy the humility of an organization offering small, medium, and large cups of coffee. The withering look of scorn one receives after accidentally ordering a 'small' instead of 'tall' at a Starbucks is truly traumatizing. Not to mention DD coffee wipes the floor with the crap Starbucks serves. There is a reason that their most popular drinks are the ones that have half a cup of cream, sugar, and various shots of artificial flavoring to cover up the taste of the 'coffee' underneath.

2)Cadbury eggs trump every other chocolate confection in existence. With the possible exception of the Caramello bar, also made by Cadbury.

3)If I had disgusting amounts of money, and/or ruled the world, I would pay Jack Johnson to follow me around singing and playing the guitar. He could take turns with Ray LaMontagne.

4)Winter is only nice if you can stay inside under a down comforter for its entire duration. Or if you live in a log cabin in the mountains somewhere with beautiful scenery. Snow + city = car accidents and scrud everywhere.

5)Invest in spandex pants.

Anonymous said...

Ok, ill play along.

Here is a list, some new, some rediscoverd from times past. hope you enjoy.

1. Groovin Slowly- John Butler Trio- these guys are Jack Johnson the Aussie version. which brings up an interesting point, why do the brits and aussies loose their accent when they sing. ever hear mick jagger in an interview. total nonsense, billy idol, forget it. but their songs appear to be lacking the queens english. im always confused by this, someone please shed some light. the only explanation i can come up with is that behind closed doors they talk like we do, but they hate us so much that they go to all the effort to talk with an accent just to stick it to us. but when they sing its just too hard to keep up the facade and they let it slip a bit. man they must really hate us. howd that happen.

2. Pass the Dutchie- Musical Youth. pure genius, how the producers thought a bunch of kids singing about puff puff give was a good idea is beyond me, but its catchy and when you find out theyre from jamacia for some reason it seems alright for kids to be getting rich while singing about getting high.

3. Babba O'Riley- The Who- this song speaks for itself and is quite possibly the best all around composition ever, not to take anything away from Pinball Wizzard, which always makes me think of Neal especially since hes in NYC now, but it always makes me feel good to hear it, which i think is the unselfish purpose of a singer/songwriter in any attempt at creating a song. these artists that write songs to "deal" with their past or to help them "get through" lifes stuggles make me sick. i dont want to be lectured while im tuning the world out by wearing my ipod everywhere. just entertain me monkey! (honorable mention in the best compositon ever catagory include: Fool in the Rain- Led Zeppelin and Suite: Judy Blue Eyes-CSN&Young) Young must feel like such a looser not having his last name represented by just a singular letter. but i hear hes an ass so i dont really feel sorry for him.

4. 99 red balloons- or lafballons if you want to sing along with hitler. we watched The Wedding Singer last night and this song plays while they roll the credits and i always liked it. "Why's that funny... I dont know"

5. I'll melt with you- Nouvelle Vague, im not sure i really like this song yet. but i downloaded it from itunes and it makes the list because i didint want my 99 cents to be as much of a waste as it already is.

6. Suddenly- The Bogmen- if ever there was a band made for itunes it is these guys. seriously they have only one good song. it'll cost you 99 cents but give you years of joy. a timeless ballad of unfailing love takes you through the journey of one mans persistant desire that even though he sees another man walking down the street wearing his tie, he wont give up and declares that when hes an angel hes gonna buy the girl of his dreams a brand new cadalic. how can you not relate to that logic.

7. Birdhouse in Your Soul- They Might be Giants. then again they might be totally lame. but of the 3 songs they are known for, this one never fails. im always on the lookout for a blue canary nightlight.

8. The Jerk- OK, Steve Martin may be the quintessential comedian of the baby boomers but this is one place where its ok to laugh at the same thing as your parents. im still in search of my cup o pizza and when i find it my life will be near complete.

9. Jimmy the MTV greasy hair yellow pit guy. wherever you are my friend, please come back. im pretty sure coolio has him locked up in his gigantic trunk. or boys2men are spending their royalties taking turns kicking him in the face.

10. clyde the clyde. quite possibly the best dog ever. for instance right now hes about to pee on my leg because in writing this nonsense ive spilled over into his daily scheduled walk over to our neighbors yard where he will deposit three cadberry sized poops that will fit nicely in a schnucks plastic bag. tessa, if youre reading this, i like you too, but lets face it, youre not really a dog, youre more like a little one eyed pillow smuching person, you have the intellegence to avoid human contact at all costs while clyde hasnt figured it out quite yet. i see my grandpa in his eyes. i wish he could talk. are dogs really soulish? i hope my dog goes to heaven.

Anonymous said...

guam.
may firstish.
visitors welcome.

Jon said...

some updates related to my list:

we went to the wine bar and tried the shakes and it is very good. not the real thing, but about as close as you can get outside of being in columbia. plus they have the towels and the cups.

my american gladiators prediction was right on. i wonder what their new gladiator names are going to be.

transgression is still awesome. i'm watching it right now because i trapped inside due to the wintry mix that is slamming the lou today.
i still hate winter too. in fact probably more so today.

i also want to back mdub up on jimmy the cab driver. he is greatly missed. maybe we should start a campaign for mtv to bring him back.

however, i cannot condone his selection of they might be giants. they might be awful. i think i liked them for a summer when i was 15 and i don't know why. their music makes my ears bleed.

i'm off to walk around the icy streets of new town.

Anonymous said...

I should have commented long ago...sorry about the delay. maybe there were just too many options to comment on? I'm overwhelmed.

-I watched less than 2 minutes of American Gladiators. total. I wanted to. I really did. but the commentary destroyed any chance of that...plus the fact that less than "3 minutes of action" gets crammed into an hour long time slot sort of sucks. "commercials and dumb announcers talking" should have been the name of that show.

-what will MGW do in guam without clyde the cylde? I ask in jest but also in seriousness. tough leaving a dog behind. soul or no soul.

-I never was in the shakespeares cult. sounds good though.

-Birdhouses in my soul and particle men still make me smile.

-MGW's music tastes still make me laugh. and cringe. although I did get a decent/better than average compilation recently from him...paradox, no?

-I can't bring myself to admit that Cadbury's are the best ever...yet I'm sitting here trying to trump them, and I can't...

-boats are cool. and so are caves.

-Jack Johnson is good...I'm in a music rut. I think Jon passed it on to me at christmas.

-I moved south for warmth. I'm waiting for it to arrive. this yo-yo thing going on wasn't part of the deal.

fingertips, fingertips, fingertips, fingertips.....