Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The bus dropped me off in Kansas and I don't see another one coming

Well, I had meant to do this sooner but a blog is like a stew, it is best after it has simmered gathering comments, until it is finished. It can't sit too long or else it will rot and no one likes rotten soup. So I had to give Jeremy's post time to simmer and gather comments. I was waiting on a certain person's comment/post but it came very late and so perhaps i am taking Jeremy's post out of the oven but I need to put mine in.
(to read Matt's comment see the previous post, comment 6)



Anyway, first off a friend of mine did some funny work with a picture of mine when I had my mustache and I found it quite funny hopefully you do as well.

But anyway, as the title says I am off the bus. The bad thing is I want back on the bus, but the damn bus doesn't pick up people that it feels would be odd passengers. To those bus drivers I perhaps look like a scary hitchhiker. But I am not. I have talents, I can do productive things. I would be helpful on the bus.

Oh well...perhaps someday a bus will pick me up. Anyway, I saw Cloverfield on a sibling date with Jon and Rach. It is an ok movie. I would see it in the theater before I would rent it, but beware if you get motion sickness.

Also, I was introduced to Skype recently. I had heard of it before, but never checked it out. It is fun and is sweeping the I family by storm. Now my question is can you "prank skype" someone? I am sure it is not near as fun as salsa in the road, but it may be just a slight step below that.

Also I think we should start having blog contests. Like the first person to post a picture of themselves with A.J. Jacobs gets 5 dollars and stuff like that. I would say to have a "famous" person leave a comment, but I don't know how that could be enforced.

Anyway, I am off to look for a bus.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

the irony of bus passengers is that the oddest ones are probably the best, most capable, and brightest workers if given the opportunity...however the bus companies stack the deck and usually only pick up passengers who "look the part". whatever that means.

I am an advocate of getting your own bus license and driving yourself.

hang in there. I know it is hard. pray for God's bus to swing by your way. seriously. I had quit and gotten off my bus for 3 weeks before I was at the end of my rope. then a magical bus came and here I am. in memphis. some buses take us places we aren't expecting.

Cloverfield = I am curious. just don't if curious enough. and shannon would definitely puke.

SKYPE is cool. especially when Sparky comes. and any other ibabies that might come in the next few years.

(by the way, thanks to the pilot for commenting. why did it take so long? and I can't imagine having to do that for work all the time. crazy tsa.)

do you want a piece of candy little boy?

Anonymous said...

i must harken back to the days when i was involuntary kicked out the back door of my bus, not once but twice in 3 months. initially it was ok due to a severence package and since it meant id have thanksgiving and christmas off. but as it dragged on and interviews became progressively lamer, it wore me down. to the point where i rode the bus simply to eat and be protected from rain.

nobody wants to hear when they are off the bus that this phase will look insignifigant in the rear view mirror of life, but in my case it has been true. actually being off the bus for a time was one of the better experiences in my life. not for money or ease, but for my humility, self respect and for remembering my priorities. i.e. perhaps im not in control of everything i think im in control of.

the good thing about busses it that there is always another one scheduled to arrive. it just depends on where you are if its actually going to be on schedule. and you must always ask whos schedule you are going by, your schedule or the big bus captain in the sky. the schedule you have may be out dated and you could find youself waiting a long time. for instance, if youre in germany, the busses run pretty regularly and if you miss one, you can count on the next one to be right on time. reminents from the nazi days im sure. but if youre in rome, you might find yourself on a really dirty bus filled with gypsey pick pockets. in portugal for instance you might wait an hour for a bus that isnt even going your way. in guatemala the busses are really shiny and clean, they look like a bus you might want to ride for a while, but theyre quite dangerous, lots of stabbings and theft. many places dont have near enough busses to move all the people who want to ride. thats why when people are riding on top of and hanging on the sides of busses in middle eastern countries it always makes the news. in america, most people would rather not step foot on a bus, but your worth seems to be attached to it so much so that strangers sitting next to you on planes or people trying to get ahead of you in lines feel its their right to ask you what bus youre riding in an attempt to size up your life by your one word answer. much like answering the quesion of where you went to high school. which in my case is three words that are in no way associated with a patron saint of anything, clearly sending some sort of message, im not sure what, but a message none the less.

as for driving yourself or driving your own bus, in my opinion there are very few routes that make this option enticing to me. one has to do with winning the lottery. the other involves a buffalo and a 9-iron.

one day i found myself in the two rivers of my youth with neal having a drink at the ol watering hole that scared me as a child when a perfect stranger strook up a conversation. he spoke of lands in far off places where he had ridden many busses and was still being monitarily rewarded for having ridden those buses in the past. his passive residual income was to be our envy yet became the butt of not a few laughs. point is, most people are really insecure. and they use their job or money or education to make them look like they have it all together. when in reality they couldnt be more lost. if youve ever seen the movie "the hours" its like the husband, where hes just wondering around and doesnt even know hes dead.

wiabdt is id rather hail the cash cab. street shout out followed by a double or noth, bring it.

p.s. i feel that ive used up a great portion of bus analogies in this single comment and will try to refrain from hogging so many in a single dump in the future. due to my timeliness, note: second to respond, i felt compelled to rant since im leaving for 5 days tomorrow and wont be able to contribute to the nonsense of our lives for a bit. kudos to those that have read this far. sorry if only jon gets the title. trust me, in the world of analogies, its equal has never been met.

Anonymous said...

If the gypsy pick-pocket thing doesn't pan out, I can hook you up with a fabulous bus ride at a local hospital.
Job title: Transporter.
Job description: Roll up with a bed or wheelchair to a patient's room. Press the call light and wait for the tech to come into the room and then 'help' the tech get the patient into the aforementioned bed or wheelchair by standing three feet away looking clueless. Once the patient is settled, wheel them off to their destination. When they are finished, wheel them back and get the tech to 'help' you assist the patient back to bed, once again by standing three feet away looking clueless. Once the tech gets the patient back into bed, deposit the bed or wheelchair in the hallway and leave. Make sure to leave the bed or wheelchair in a place that causes the most inconvenience to everybody on the floor. Every two weeks, enjoy receiving a paycheck with the same rate of pay as the tech while performing 1/1000th the amount of work as the tech.

I'm not bitter.

Anonymous said...

nice to have MGW post early AND excitedely. so many bus analogies that my brain almost combusted.

also, nurse racher sounds like she has a brilliant opportunity. think of the stories one might have after transporting in a medical facility. the analogies and metaphors and life lessons could give one endless material for thousands of sermons. preach on.

I think MGW should post a blog entry on his experiences this past WEDS night...I heard he was invited to sit in on the "inner circle of women things" meeting.

Anonymous said...

The first rule of inner women's circle is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT INNER WOMEN'S CIRCLE!

Anonymous said...

Pushing wheelchairs does not sound like a bus worth riding (unless you actually ENJOY the smell of urine and catheter bags). I must say, though, being off the bus can be quite the low point; however, when one looks back and realizes that the former bus was indeed the "short bus" (or at least short for them) it all kind of gives a new perspective on things. And in response to the cash cab thing...shouldn't that creep you out? The idea of a guy offering to give you money if you ride in his car....how is this different than the windowless "hey kid want some candy" van?

Anonymous said...

jon. lunch on thurs?
11ish. gotta bread co card burning a hole in my pocket.