Sunday, October 26, 2008

It's always sunny in Seattle.

So everyone who hears about Seattle inevitably says, "Isn't the weather terrible up there? I heard it is always rainy and cloudy." I think this is a lie made up by Seattlites in an attempt to keep the rest of the country from moving up to live there.

Before I get to much into the post I want to apologize to those who want to see pictures and updates of Carlos and the new bench or Jeff and Amie’s fruit picking extravaganza, you got humpbacked.

This post is going to be all about the trip to Seattle and all the exciting, fun, new things we saw, experienced and did. Please check out the other trip experience on my sister's blog which has her thoughts on our visit.

So the wife and I went up to visit the sister and had a lovely time. We “upgraded” on the way there and I couldn’t have enjoyed it more. I think knowing what goes on in first class has forever tainted me. It was terrible flying with the other peasants the way home, crammed in my hot little corral. But the upgrade definitely started the trip off on the right foot and has forever made it difficult to travel in “economy” class. I could go on and on about this, but I won’t.

(Also, as a side note to any pilots who may be reading this blog; Please, please, PLEASE keep your airplane temperature cool. I swear on the way back the temperature on the plane was around 80 degrees. It was terrible. Remember, you would rather your passengers add clothes/blankets than take them off.)



So we got to Seattle and saw my sister and it ended up being your "typical" Seattle weather of grayness and clouds. We walked all around Ballard (where she lives) and saw many sights and sounds. It was a lot of walking and my shoes from the plane probably shouldn’t have been worn that day as my feet really hurt at the end of the day.


We walked to the Salmon Ladder and the Locks. It was pretty neat and different. It was past the normal salmon migration time and so all that was left was one poor salmon who probably wasn’t going to make it home. We encouraged him as best we could but I just had a bad feeling he was going to end up on someone’s dinner plate. I am sure he would be delicious.



That night we had dinner at Ray’s Boathouse, which was excellent, and had a lovely view. We enjoyed hanging out with our hypothetical best couple friends, Dora and Stephen. Hypothetical because Rachel said if we lived near them we would all get along and be good “couple friends”. But it was a good time and we enjoyed the food, drinks and company. But the night had to come to an end, Rache had to work the next day and therefore needed to be in bed by 9:00 so we called it a night and went to our Hotel.

Interesting note about our hotel: it was a haven for the hearing impaired. I don’t know if there was a deaf/hearing impaired convention going on that weekend in Seattle or if it is just “the place to stay” for members of that community, but it was full of deaf people. The breakfast at the hotel was delicious and it was cool to see all the conversations going on throughout the breakfast room and not hear them.

Friday we got up and began our day by having a filling breakfast because we knew we would need the nourishment for our journey around the city. We set out from our hotel and got half a block before we realized we didn't have a map. I convinced Amie that we didn't need it and we headed off trying to find one of the most famous tourist spots: Pike's Market. I knew the general direction/area to go, but Amie was a little frustrated with me for not getting a map, especially as we climbed up on of the hills of downtown Seattle. Just as I could see her frustration starting to show through what sign do we see? Of course the one we were looking for:



It was a good feeling to have my internal GPS system validated. It shows that I still got it. Just let me see some Google maps for a few minutes and i am good to go. Watch out Tom Tom, Jeff Jeff is coming for you.

Pike's Market was fun and we enjoyed the sights, sounds, and smells. I recommend it to anyone who goes up there. It is a great experience. After Pike's we walked down to the waterfront and decided to head into the aquarium. We also took a harbor tour which was a nice informative event. We learned all about the harbor and the piers and what each one was used for. Ports are pretty cool, I wish i had a boat and did harbor things.

After that we had some food near the market and headed towards the needle. The space needle isn't that impressive, although their was a pan-flute band selling their CD's near it. They sounded pretty good. But we didn't go up in the needle as it was pretty pricey and we had just seen the city and didn't want to see it from a needle.

That night we went to have dinner with a friend of mine who moved up there. I don't want to recount the terror that is the a 2 hour car ride of only 20 miles. It was terrible. The dinner itself was nice and uneventful, but it was good to catch up with my friend and his wife.

The next day was Whale Day! We were very excited for this trip and the weather was nice, again not "typical" Washington weather. We drove up north and went to Anacortes (I call it Ana Cortez, even if that isn't the proper pronunciation.) Take a look at this map for information about our trip:



Rachel did a great job of describing the whale trip. We went during peak humpback season and saw precisely zero humpbacks. This led to the creation of the term "humpbacked" to describe any time that an event that is supposed to happen never materializes. For instance "Mizzou really humpbacked me in that game against Texas." or "I got humpbacked at work regarding that raise". Feel free to use it and help it catch on.

Also, we saw a couple of "stinky minkes" which led to creation of the term "minke" to describe anytime you create a foul odor. For instance "I just minked." or my favorite (replacing "I am going to check out some guests") "I am going minke hunting."

The whale watching trip, while noticeably missing whales, was an excellent time and I would love to go on another. The views were spectacular as was the people watching. Some pictures of our Whale watching trip:






Overall it was a good experience that i recommend.

The next day we went to church with Rachel and then flew home. It was a great trip and we really enjoyed it. If you have the time and money I think you should get out there and say hello.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to have you guys visit. The weather this weekend was awesome, and I'm beginning to concur with your suspicion that the 'bad weather' is a huge conspiracy to keep people away. Either that or my friend Amy's prayers for the sunniest winter Seattle has ever seen are being answered. She knows the head pastor at our church, so it's safe to assume she's got major clout with God :)

Anonymous said...

Jegg you better whatch, I am everywhere, so you have to behave my dear. Keep it writing, keep it going. Love your blog.
Love ya all. Neuz

Anonymous said...

How could I misspell your name, sorry I am not a good typest.NI

Anonymous said...

Is Ana Cortez related to the Sea of Cortez?...

Is Neuz working for "the company" as JC00 is?

What kind of pest is a ty pest?

Just wondering....Hummmmmm

Anonymous said...

my favorite part about this post is the map with comments. we should do this more often in our lives. make maps and write down what we're thinking or what we've encountered or how we feel about certain places/events. A map of memphis would be hilariously littered with comments about bad drivers, interesting homeless people, good food establishments, more bad drivers, places where people have been shot, and a boatload of other fun thoughts/comments.

the weather = just wait. winter hasn't even started. whoa ha ha ha ha ha (evil laugh)...

2 hours to go 20 miles sounds terrible. horrendous. awful. why would you do that?

good post...and yes, I think Irene likes your eyebrows.

Anonymous said...

->that salmon looks like cod

Anonymous said...

i like the map a lot too. it made me laugh quite a bit. i think we should also try to use "good looks" along with "humpbacked" and "minked."
for instance, i'm glad i didn't get any good looks at the game mizzou completely humpbacked against texas. they really minked up the joint.

am i the only one that is bothered by sparky's dads insistance on comparing the weather patterens of 2 completely different geographic locations? and as long as i'm on the topic of weather, i simply cannot get on board with praying about for/about the weather...unless i'm going wakeboarding and i want the wind to go away.

when is the best time/season to see orcas racher? because i want to see them when i come to seattle.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I did like the Monk bag. Put it on the Christmas list. I also like those long sleeve tees from the Jcrew outlet...those can go on the list too.

Neuza, thanks for commenting. I didn't realize the resembalance until my dad pointed it out.
Also. I am aware we have lots of lurkers and readers who never comment. Perhaps you will bring them out (spelling mistakes and all).

Jar, a lot of the photos and map writings are all from this program i found for the laptop. It is fun and i enjoy it greatly. But i don't believe you about the weather in Seattle...i think it is a conspiracy. We will have to see if JC00's company can get us some information.

Anonymous, I don't make the signs i just take pictures of em.

1/2 of the Square, I like the term "good looks" as well. Our optimistic captain used it all the time. really, it was a running joke by the end of the trip. but you used it well in your sentence.

Also, if you want to see Orcas you should go during minke season and you will probably see some. but i think i can find the website of the people we used and see what they say, and then do the exact opposite.

Anonymous said...

its official, reserve out here is pretty much the best job in the world. i totally humpbacked scheduling this month. my goatee is long, sideburns bushy, as i was not called upon to fly at all in october. alas i was unable to get reserve for movember so fear not, i will be working my fair share, but it was good to have a break and to see you all as well. after hearing about ol mizzou minking on colorado i was quite pleased, esp since there is a die hard buffs fan living on the 3rd floor. the winter winds have given good looks and a ray of hope to my local reef and i took step one by purchasing a body board and fins. surfboards are too expensive here and i just wanted to get out on the water. first day out i got my back all minked up on the reef due to the persistant humpbacking of set waves and poor wave selection, but i redeemed myself yesterday in a quality session. reef-1, mgw-1. jason, the buffs fan, was not so lucky as he stepped on a sea urchin and had surgery to remove the spines from his heel. good times. its definately one way to get off work. its holoween and its raining, im going to propose an afternoon of take em bowling to the group. the bowling alley here is pretty scarry so it should be fitting. ive enjoyed many a sun filled day in seattle. its unbelievable sometimes. but conspiracy theroists beware, nothing can be more depressing than 3 months of the everpresent low overcast mist that is sure to blanket the city shortly. sorry rach. i glad you got to taste life in the pointy end of the plane. the difference is unreal, but you have been tainted for sure. ignorance truly is bliss in this case. ill play freeze out on my next trip just for you.