Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Bill Simmons is a genius...

...I just finished reading his latest column regarding the NBA all-star weekend [It can be found at www.espn.com on the front page...easy to find]..Go read it now.

Much of his appeal comes from his "average guy persona". He was working as a bartender and writing for a personal website he set up when the internet was just getting started (in the mid 90's). He essentially uses common sense, some creative thinking, and a bit of comedy to rethink and retell our sporting (and other pop culture) experiences (essentially, he is exactly like our friend Matt).

I think that Bill S. is a bit more genius though than he comes across. He has transformed the relationship between fans and professional sports. To use one of my dad's favorite words, he shifted our "paradigm". He saw a new technological medium untapped and a public hunger for connectedness. He prides himself on being an "average fan" and writes from that perspective versus an elitist or superior level...He has bridged the gap between casual fan and super star athlete by making them more human and giving us (casual fan) more of a voice. He also makes me laugh. A lot. Laughing is good.

I like him. I look forward to his columns...

The end.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, i lauged a lot at his most recent article. I was waiting for it for the past couple of days, just checking to see if he posted anything new. I guess what i am saying is, I have no life.

Jon said...

i also concur with the declarations of simmons genius. tremendous article, i knew the all star game in vegas would be great material. reading his stuff is pretty much the only reason i follow basketball at all. you should notice that we have a link to his site on this blog, i dont think it's working right though. i'll have "my people" take a look at it.

jar said...

Yes...I noticed we have a link to his stuff, but didn't reference it because I also noticed that is wasn't working.

that would be great if your "people" could take a look. you might want to try "warcraft nerd" to see if he can sleuth it out as well.

I love the "warcraft nerd" though...don't get me wrong.

Jo said...

Okay, picky people, try the Sports Guy link again.

NMh said...

sorry wheels, bill simmons is a fruit. i used to like the writings until the cartoons started showing up in his columns. i would rather spend 20minutes staring at a ziggy. I will admit that the first parrallel of Saved by the Bell to BH902190 was brilliant. Then I wonder what a four page article on last nights episode of According to Jim had anything to do with Pitcher-Catcher spring training. I would predict a future article about general hospital, the view, or wife swap (any ABC program) on his pay per read website soon.

my favorite comment about bill simmons came from an article in the san francisco gate. *he is the guy that explains his friends inside jokes to readers*. he writes sports entertainment, one step off from WWF Smackdown. He´ll be on VH1 [i love the 90´s] while real sportswriters will be choking on a hotdog at Port Saint Lucie for their 15th season of spring training.

Jon said...

i like that he writes about all that dumb stuff like the hills, 90210, rocky 4, etc. it's what sets him apart. real sportswriters are pretty lame. especially the ones like mitch albom who write sappy novels. plus, simmons is a huge karate kid fan. and you really can't argue with that. and i like stupid inside jokes. as evidenced by this blog

NMh said...

oh yea...well i'm gonna open Cobra Kai dojos all over this Valley. Hell, I might even teach for free.

In his defense, i guess the ninety-two-ten footnotes need to add up for something. But even Ralph Macchio decided to take on the role as Max, in Chicken Soup for the Soul late in his career.