Monday, August 25, 2008

Jews, Orchards, and Prophets

"And it came to pass on the 25th day of 8th month of 8th year of the 2nd millennia on the sixth story in a small dark room I had a vision. The oracle known as Sue used her strange liquids and wands and looked deep into the bowels of my wife. As she passed her wand over my wife's stomach an image began to form. "An arm... a leg... a head...",the oracle spoke each body part as she saw it. "A healthy child you have" Sue the oracle told us. She continued to look over the child gazing at its spine, skull, and stomach. As she looked over the child she finally said, "Ahh...you will have a Son as prophesied by Jon of Newtown."

That is pretty much how it went down today, except with more mist and a more cave like atmosphere. I tell you those ultrasound lady's like to keep it dramatic. So anyway, those of you who guessed xy as opposed to xx get a prize, that i haven't figured out yet. I, Joff Roy Horton, am going to have a son. Hide your salsa.

So that is very exciting and we can't wait to meet the little guy and now we get the fun of naming him, we have many of ideas but aren't sure which way to go. But we will all find out soon enough and he will be causing subdivision mischief before you know it. Also just let it be known that Jon of Newtown is now 2-0 when calling sibling births.

Anyway, I wanted to write some other stuff regarding recent events that I participated in over the past weekend.

The first was that on Saturday night (after attending a lovely polynesian dance recital) I went to a co-workers house party. Kid and Play were not present, but the evening was one of the more ones in recent memory. Amie and I arrived 15 minutes late, which turned out to be 30 minutes early and so we got to sit and hang out with the limited guests. Anyway, the guy whose house it was, is Jewish and as more and more attendees began to show up I realized 1.) I was early because it was the sabbath. 2.) I was lacking in the facial hair department. and 3.) Jewish peoples names can be difficult to pronounce/remember. I should clarify that I remembered the name to be odd (to me), but not how to say it correctly. But overall I like the Jewish culture, they know how to drink and have a good time. It was a good experience and I feel like I have some in common with them, well until we get to the New Testament ...but they had funny stories they told about synagogue that were strangely simliar to the ones we tell about church. I felt that the night broadened my horizons and that was good.

Anyway, the following day Amie and I went Peach/Blackberry picking at Eckerts Farm in Grafton Illinois. It was a rough beginning as we waited over 45 minutes to take the ferry across the river. 45 minutes!!! I could've driven the entire way and been there before the boat. I don't know what led to said Ferry taking so long, perhaps it tipped over because it had too many goods. I don't know, but it led me to be a little frustrated. Also once in Grafton traffic was terrible which led to more frustration (Bikers, Boats, and touristy walkers lead to traffic problems). So I was thinking that the place would be packed but it is just the opposite almost totally empty. It was pretty sweet in that we got to go and pick with no one else really around at all.

The picking of fruit/food got me thinking: "Do people in other countries find it odd that we pay to go pick fruit and think that it is fun? Why did the Asian family in front of me buy over 100 dollars of peaches? Were they having a peach party? Were they celebrating the closing of the olympics with peaches? Do Asians just like to eat peaches? Why was the worker from eckerts overweight if he worked on a farm, that doesn't seem right. I think Carlos would like to come to eckerts if he could drink wine."

After that we avoided the ferries and just stayed on land for the trip home. Stopping at Chuckaburger for a lovely late lunch. Anyway, I will have some pictures of the peach extravaganza soon.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Ha! I knew there would be a blog about this. I've been thinking about Amie today and couldn't wait to find out the sex of your little baby. Congrats! They say changing a boy's diaper is easier than a girl's, but that's just not true at all - besides your face being a prime target for a pee stream, there are many more things to lift and more places for poop to hide. Get ready. It's fun.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the news. that is awesome. although it would have been fun to have 2 girl cousins so close in age, the pressure is DEFINITELY off to carry on the iwaszkowiec name...

besides. J-squared can have a girl next summer and then Irene and j-baby will be only 1 year apart. perfect.

can't wait to teach little xavi about salsa, stations, colored eggs, angel tag, trampolines, and horton says whatin!

also, praying for amie's pelvic region to expand to epic proportions for that head...seriously. c-sections are fun.

Anonymous said...

so no journey to the planet's capital city to complete your cultural saturday night? it would have been a nice contrast to the rest of your evenings activities.

$100 of peaches is a whole lot of peaches. maybe they were making a big cobbler.

and let it be said that i claim no prophetic gifts. i think i just am somewhat wise to the way life works. which means we will probably end up with twins.

Anonymous said...

yes. Jon is 2-0...and Jsquared with twins would be brilliant...

your kid looks like an alien too.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, if your kid has a head as big as yours was, you better get Amie a heck of a nice 'birth present.' I should start custom-knitting some snow hats for him.

Anonymous said...

It seems a bit odd that Jewish frat parties and asian cobbler gets more play than the gender of your child to be. Congratulations Joff. Jon with fraternal twins, one of each would complete the trifecta for Los and Leigh.

Did you have to wear a yarmulke?

Anonymous said...

So this blog seems to have died off sadly.....someone needs to post again I have nothing to laugh about

Anonymous said...

patience. estimated eta on my next post is soon....i was waiting for something. it finally arrived, about a week and a half late because it was "mis-sorted". brown apparently can't do anything for me.

Anonymous said...

Where is the Post that was Promised?

Anonymous said...

So, I really won't have my feelings hurt if someone wants to post another story. Really, we are slowly killing the blog. Apartment 5b has had more new posts than us!?!?!!? What is happeneing? IS the end of the world happening soon? Will we get a new post? Is anyone listening to me? Is anyone reading this Blog? Why do I keep Asking questions? Do you really lose your sense of humor when you have a child? Is Greg going to cease being funny on Friday?

Anonymous said...

the end of the world IS happening soon. election day.

new post = I thought J2 was posting something. so I haven't thought much about it.

listening = yes. you have been heard.

sense of humor = no. and I resent that assumption. if anything, one's sense of humor is heightened significantly after parenthood. you have to laugh at more stuff or you will go nuts. what one DOES lose is free time. and a bit of sanity. get ready. I warned you. and I will do my best not to say "I told you so". posting a few pix and short comments about my daughter is easy. thinking up witty/fun material worthy of BLOGGY is much more difficult. combined with the fact that I'm in the busiest time of year for me (in season), I am slightly nuts and don't have massive amounts of free time. check that. I don't have ANY free time. only Sundays. and I turn my brain off then.

I have a post rattling around in my brain somewhere. it is festering.

in other news, what happened to MGW's legendary comments? he moves to GUAM, pretends to "work", and travels all over the eastern hemisphere...he only has eyes for GUAMMY now?

alright. I could ramble on..but I will stop.

peace.

Anonymous said...

I assume that having a newborn would induce that slap-happy feeling you get at 4:30 am at a lock-in. I'll let you know next week. I'll do my best to post interesting, insightful and charming observations here and schmaltzy baby pictures and stories more suited for mass consumption at the popsicle. We get her friday noon, c-section by the way.

Anonymous said...

Jon, you should take copious pictures, meet every interesting person you can and venture into West Memphis and then come back and write a 1000000 word post Guammy style. Then you'll get 17 comments and be relevant again. We should have made our trip ACROSS THE RIVER into an epic tale to be recorded for all mankind. We blew it.

Anonymous said...

Carlos formula:
"Great post _____ (insert name)" Some random one liner with a few misspellings, closed with "JC 00".

Jeremy formula:

Break down every post on a point by point basis.

Uses lots of = signs.


But in all seriousness, you guys are awesome and your comments make me laugh because they are usually always the same, yet different. Hopefully you don't mind my joking. Our blog family, or network, would not be the same without them.

I have a great post coming, lots of "events" that are worth talking about, but I feel like I could reach Weltonian proportions. I may have to cut back.