Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Irene pukes a lot...and I'm getting ready to get off the bus

(after consulting with my brother, he reminded me of the "bus metaphor" and how I am packing my things and preparing to get off at the next stop. I have no idea where/when the next stop is, but this crazy bus ride is about to be over...)

Irene goes through about 3 outfits per day and at least 5 bibs. She pukes, spits up, and generally drools all over her clothes. If I were to puke onto the blog it would sound something like this:


-the city of memphis shut down today because there was 3/4 of an inch of ice/snow. the streets were fine. there was slush on some overpasses. you gotta love the south.


-the board of directors at Crichton voted to drop the traditional day student program to focus on the adult evening program...Crichton will be more like a part-time, adult learner, commuter school. there will be no more athletic programs. I am on the job hunt. would love to stay in college coaching and have a few leads but am open to anything. like a sail boat captain and/or a professional dad.


-Irene is super cute. She does new stuff every day. Lately she has started "dancing", signing, clapping, and I swear that she says "dada"...although that is up for debate as she calls a few things "dada"...


-We have started packing up the house. Regardless of what happens, we are 95% certain we will be leaving the house...I recommend moving twice in the span of 2-3 years. Whatever you don't throw away or use after the first move will definitely be tossed during the second one...


-I like it that one of my siblings has a child. I also like the way Shannon described how to say his name...this is my paraphrase: "...it is Ja Vee...but the J sounds like the S in 'measure' or 'pleasure'..."


-there was a guest pastor at church this past sunday. he spoke at 2 services. he did a DIFFERENT message for each one...has anyone EVER heard of such a thing?!


this is the snow that shut memphis down:


















-Neal has a sister named Gwen

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

apparently rubber toys don't digest well. on a somewhat related note, an injured dog that can't exercise/play, lots of snow, and stuffed toys/beds are not a good combination.

explaining how to pronounce xavi's name is pretty entertaining. poor kid's in trouble once he starts school. i can see the teacher pausing before reading his name now. he might just want to go by conrad at school.

different sermons on the same day is unprecedented. is that even allowed??

Anonymous said...

I would consider different sermons on the same day one of two ways, either he is showing off OR he has no friends/life and fills his days writing sermons. You decide on that one.

To other things, if i join you off the bus we should pool our resources and attend the St.Louis Boat show where we can buy a sailboat and sail to Pacific islands to visit friends that are on the best bus ever. Grandpa Los would be an excellent first mate, you can be the captain, Jon and I can be pirate defense (all that whale wars watching has prepared us well). Ray can be a sea dog, i think he would excel at that role.

I like throwing things away, it is freeing. but i disagree on the moving thing, however i saw an infomercial for "lifting straps" and they seemed to make moving larger pieces much, much easier.

And St. Louis shut down, but i still went to work, because i am a dedicated employee (or i feel guilt very easily, i am not sure which).

Jo said...

Here's the deal with the name thing. Before I was married, customer service reps, doctor's office receptionists, etc., would sometimes call me Miss Clark. Now, I see them look at my last name and then they decide to just risk being overly familiar by calling me Johanna (pronounced Jo + Hanna). That's not going to work for Xavi. People will look at Xavi and think "???." So they will skip to Iwaszkowiec and think "what the..." and go back to Xavi and the cycle starts all over again. I love it.

I also worked while the rest of the city was shut down. We were let out "early" on Tuesday - a very generous 4:00 p.m. when most people were scheduled to leave anyway. (In case you didn't catch it, that last sentence was dripping in sarcasm.)

Anonymous said...

Lothar has had her share of chewing and swallowing crazy things,including a ceramic candle holder and dead frog (which I took out of her mouth). Ahh the fun we have with our puppies. Hopefully, my children will be a little more discriminating about what is put in their mouth, nose, or ears for that matter. As far as your cities being shut down for snow!!!! Liam's class goes outside to play in it. It's crazy what different states view as blizzards!! Jer, I would stick with the idea that Irene is saying dada!!! Wait till she says I love you!! Your heart will totally melt!!!!! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

what was the rubber toy that Ray ate? that is gross...would you rather it come out the other end? which one would have been more gross?

I hate touching frogs...I would have let Lothar chew/eat away.

*SPOILER ALERT* Corny dad moment. stop reading if you don't want cheesiness: I think I know what you mean Grets, but Irene already "says" 'I love you'...her soul talks to mine. aka her 'colors' talk to my 'colors'...and I DO love it.

Carlos said...

This idea of being a Captain on a sail boat enthuzes me a lot, even though my bus driver is putting a golden ring on my nose...

So when do we pool resources and go for it? Should I stop now from going and acquire a new car and stop being "green"? Speak up or forever....

Puking is no fun however there is a certain endearing facet to it and I look nostalgicaly at my past experiences of being puked upon....

Anonymous said...

yes my bus is bound for glory, and im not taking it for granted. history would say that it they can kick me off at a moments notice.
sorry to hear about all the job woes. i know what its like, and its no fun. golden rings sound nice, id hang in ther for another wall clock.

alright mahartys, please form a crew and come sail to see us. you can drop anchor and walk the plank right outside my window if you like. or cut a hole in the topsail and ride id down piggy back stlye on sloth. arrr matey, that would replace the whale in my nightmares.

instead of having to clean up her kids puke, i saw my sister actually put our her hand to catch it before it hit the floor. she said it was easier to just wash her hands than to mop up. unbeliev.

one time clyde ate one of those chewing ropes. he tried to poop it out for like 15 minutes, but alas it was too long and i had to pull it out for him. probably the most humbling part of raising him.

more to come for vic and i in that arena soon im sure.