Well, as you can see,since my last post a lot has changed, quite a lot. On Saturday January 3, we woke up and Amie wasn't feeling so great. She was having little contractions and I had to go to the office to get a little work done. By the time I got home at 2:45 she wasn't feeling very well at all. It was getting worse and worse for her and so we headed to the hospital and arrived around 4:00pm.
On a side note driving to the hospital with a wife in labor is terrible. She is having contractions and every time she squeezed my hand the speedometer would jump up 10-20 mph. I was trying empathize with her, like when i have to go to the bathroom when i am driving and the pressure starts coming in waves. Rachel and I have had extensive conversation, and discussion on "the waves" of an Iwaszkowiec digestive system and both agree that if you make it through wave 4 you need to find a bathroom ASAP. But anyway, i think that kinda is comparable except with labor 100 times worse.
So anyway, we made it to the hospital, Amie got some drugs and felt better. We think her drugs started to wear off but are not certain, she just had some pain but ended up getting through it and delivering at 9:41 pm on January 3rd. She did awesome and it was cool to see her demeanor change when that little boy came out. He was 7 pounds 13 ounces at birth and was 19 and a half inches. Name: Conrad Xavier Iwaszkowiec (aka Xavi).
So we are glad he is here and he is cute and we like him a lot. Hopefully all you readers will get to meet him soon. But because i don't want to make this a baby blog, I thought i would just give insights from the past week.
Number 1 insight is that hospitals suck. I am not a fan of staying in them for long periods of time. I know that it is beneficial and helpful to have all these different specialists in a central location and to have a nice sterile environment. But can we just get a window that opens in every room!!! Just a little, enough to let in some fresh air. I hate hospital air, it is so terrible, almost as bad as the food.
Side note on hospital food: Amie got the chips and salsa quite a bit with her meals (for me of course). but the salsa wasn't the best, it was clearly street practice salsa. Ed got me thinking about teaching Xavi the proper techniques of putting bags of salsa in the road. This led to me thinking of creating a road salsa scale. Clearly this hospital salsa was used as practice salsa. It was too thick, didn't have a good taste. It could probably splatter ok, but you would only want to use this on backroads where you would get some rusty pickup running over it. Pace on the other hand is a step up in the salsa scale, you can use Pace in subdivisions and small towns and cities, it is a good consistency to get that family sized minivan withe excellent wheel coverage. I wondered what would be the creme de la creme of salsa? What would you put on Michigan Avenue for that Mercedes to Run over? Or in Times Square for that Rolls to get all over its tires? I think we need to discuss this. I was thinking Los's mango salsa would probably be up on that top tier of salsa worthy to be placed in the big cities.
Anyway, that has been one thing occupying my mind lately, feel free to offer input as you see fit. back to other weekly insights, I miss sleep. We used to get along, he would come visit, we would hang out for about 8 hours, it was nice. Lately he hasn't come too often. Maybe sleep is mad that i had a child, he is jealous, or upset, regardless sleep needs to come back and work through this with me. We can do this, i believe it to be possible.
Last Friday Amie and I finally got our internet/tv service. A few things, High Definition is great and i am slowly getting spoiled by it. DVR's are the best inventions ever!!! Mom and Dad came by to watch the biggest loser (an excuse to come over and see their grandchild) but the brought dinner with them as well. So anyway, we weren't done and the show was about to start and then i was like wait a second "I can record it." It was lovely, we took our time eating and then got through all the commercials, I love it. Probably the second best thing that i got this week.
Well, if you have read all this congrats to you, you must be really really bored. I am off to take a nap, and i tried to upload more photos but with no luck. I will try again later. Also, if anyone else wants to contribute don't feel bad about knocking this post down, it won't hurt my feelings.
8 comments:
Don't worry, sleep still likes you and he'll be back before you know it. Carolina is going 9ish hours with one meal around 3:00 am. Luckily her mom LIKES nursing her then, so I stay in bed and cuddle Mr. Sleep.
I foresee this post staying at the top of the board until a certain other contributor to this fine piece of journalistic adventures brings forth the child. You may reach double digit comment status yet again.
I'm wondering how naked time works with boys? I assume all babies prefer the freedom of the natural appearance, ours does, but all we have to worry about is a little dribble. Do you have to spread out a tarp? One more thing for you to conquer.
El Mags salsa would make a good, wet road surface...like slick shoes. Casa's could be used for effect, it is essentially spicy ketchup but retains the pasty red color well. Sams has the best store-bought salsa, so if you ever needed 55 gallons at a time... Brandon McCain makes an outstanding salsa that could eat the paint off of cars. Some options to consider.
Yes, I'm bored. But in a good baby-is-sleeping-in-my-arms-and-I can't-do-much-else kind of way.
Welcome back Xavi Sr...Thanks for the honorable mention and if anyone wants the recipe for Mango Salsa, I'm ready to deal...
As for Mr. sleep, Mr. Colic is coming but the good news is that it does get over...
Crap and I thought we had disguise it well with our desire to watch HD TV...I gues our cover is blown
You need to get that boy a blankie and teach him the proper way to suck his thumb. He's doing it all wrong in the picture.
I like the labor/diarrhea analogy. It's probably pretty accurate. I'll let you know for sure if I ever experience labor.
I also love those shiny gold heart stick-on temperature probes they use on newborns. I wish we had shiny colorful things to stick on patients in the OR.
Excited to meet my tiny baby nephew! Two more weeks...
i agree that brandons salsa is quite good. perhaps the best from a non mass producing entity. and id contend that it should only be eaten and not played with on the street. there is a place out here called Carmens Cha Cha, that is basically our only mexican place worth mentioning, and it has good salsa. but ive been surviving on vickis guac more than anything.
we are pretty screwed. id say that we get 11-12 hrs of sleep on average. and vic is taking a nap right now. apparently lying by the pool today took it all out of her.
i have my bi-weekly pick up soccer game to attend to, then ive been orderd to make chili. salsas second cousin once removed.
congrats a bunch joff. im glad youre a dad and amies a mom. good luck and stuff.
DVR's ARE wonderful, revolutionary, and will soon be outlawed...they will kill advertising $...they are great though. I'm happy for the new addition to the family.
HD sports are pretty cool as well. I could care less about HD movies/sitcoms but watching sports in HD is quite impressive.
I am not a salsa snob and nor do I rate my salsas much. I mostly just like it and will eat it any time in any place. I DO appreciate really good salsa but am content/happy/satisfied with just about any combination of tomatoes, peppers, onions, and whatever else one puts in salsa.
MGW + Vic + SLEEP = will soon be over. good luck gumshoe.
welcome to the world Xavi, jr...you are cute. and I'm excited to meet you. congrats to Sr. and Amie...you survived the birth, hospital, doctors, and ice storm! Looking forward to seeing you next week!
all this technology frightens and confuses me....I wouldn't know about DVRs and HD, but i have been enjoying some new channels lately. i'm a big fan of the dog whisperer and man vs. food. though man v food in HD would probably not be a good thing.
xavi is a cute one and as his favorite uncle i will do my part to inform him of his father's salsa shenannigans. and although i am also not too picky about salsas i will add that the only place Casa's salsa should be put is the street. i have 2 friends, who may or may not be twin brothers, that have an odd fascination with that place that i will never understand. there's a reason there's only like 2 of them left in stl.
11-12 hours of sleep??! yeah dude, you're in big trouble.
congrats!!!! Can't wait to meet Xavi. Actually, Liam and Owen can't wait to meet their new boy cousin and teach him all they know. As far as sleep goes, say goodbye to it! You get used to short snoozes and learn how to function on little sleep. Hope to see you guys soon.
Well sister G, as cute as your boys are, I think the title of your last comment has convinced me to run to the nearest lady doctor and get my tubes tied. I guess I'll never get to compare the waves of labor to the other kind of waves...
Post a Comment